Thursday, March 29, 2012

The next prom dress redo

Ignore the track tan... I needed a real body as a model!


Another prom dress makeover.   This one was a little different, it not only was strapless, but had a big gap in the back also.  
So the solution was as follows:   I took some of the very full underskirt and made it a straighter skirt.  Using the cut off fabric, I pleated a piece of fabric that almost matched the pleats on the bodice.  I then used a piece of cotton underneath, sewing the pleats down fabric to facing.  The back shoulders were made the same, without the pleats.    I secured the pleats with hand sewing.  I used a basic wedge shape for the front and the back shoulder pieces.  


As for the open area in the back, I simply made a "boob tube" using the rest of the satin and flesh colored swim suit lining.  It is worn underneath the dress.


1 comment:

Cindy said...

Makes me laugh, and remember how the year CL was married in August I made her a tankini with really wide straps--so that she wouldn't look like that in her fairly wide necked wedding dress!