Sunday, April 01, 2012

Trying something new


My skill set is with the sewing machine and thread.  My oldest daughter is a very talented with yarn, but me, not so much. But sometimes a gal just has to pull out the crochet hook!  Twice a year my church holds general conference.   It is a fabulous two days of listening to the prophet and leaders of the church.  I LOOOOOOVE General Conference. I have eight hours over two days to listen and learn.  I have found that if I keep my hands busy with some fiber arts, I listen a lot better.  Makes no sense I know, but if I have yarn in my lap, I am hearing everything.  So in October and in April, I will pick up my hook.  My youngest is going off to college in a few short weeks.  She is going where there will be snow and cold, it will shock her poor little Texas body, so this time I decided to try my hand at a hat.
I am not a big yarn fan, so this is actually a repurposed t-shirt. I cut the t-shirt into 1 inch strips, connected all of my ends, pulled them tight and rolled the ball.  I then used a size N crochet hook. That was a first for me using one so big.  I'm thinking the cap turned out fine, considering I had no idea what I was doing, and just kind of made it up as I went along.  Oh yeah, I must have started over 4 times, so the pulled jersey is very forgiving.  The hat reminds me of a 1920's flapper.
Chances are this will end up in a drawer, or on the floor of her closet, but for a few minutes, I believe she will actually wear it!

No comments: