Monday, January 27, 2014

Green chili chicken enchiLasagna of death

No, I'm not usually a food blogger, heck who can remember to take pictures of each step along the way, but my sister and I were discussing the possibility of this dish, and she told me to post it here, because this is where I do my blogging.  So enjoy.

I got to thinking about freezer meals (I belong to a once month freezer meal group), and wondered if it were possible to combine some of my favorite meals.  So incorporating three of my favorite comfort foods, Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas, Lasagna and Mormon Funeral Potatoes, at least  aspects of each one, this is what I came up with.

Green Chili Chicken EnchiLasagna of Death


The Cast of characters:
9 Lasagna Noodles (uncooked)
1 can mild green chili enchilada sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 can mild green chilies
1/2 c chicken broth
1 c shredded cheese
pepper jack cheese slices
1 1/2 c shredded chicken
1 green bell pepper
Chop bell pepper, shred chicken.  Mix soup, sauce, sour cream, green chilies with a whisk.  thin with chicken broth.  Mix 1 c shredded cheese into sauce.

Start by putting 1/2 c sauce into the bottom of a glass casserole dish.  Top with 3 lasagna noodles, rinsed (Really.  Just turn on the water and get the noodles wet)  Lay noodles on top of sauce.  Top with more sauce, 1/3 shredded chicken, 1/3 of the bell pepper and 3 slices of pepper jack cheese.  Repeat.  Don't forget to rinse your dry pasta.  Continue until you have 3 layers in your pan.  Finish with shredded cheese.  Now the tricky part...Add 1/2 cup of water to your dish.  Really.  Just pour the water along the edges of your pan.   Cover with foil and freeze.  Or preheat oven to 375, bake for 1 hour.  Remove foil last 20 minutes.  Let sit 20 minutes before serving.  

All this creamy saucy slightly spicy deliciousness in one dish.. and it tastes even better the next day

This is great for a freezer meal.  Just defrost completely and then bake as directed...

No comments: